Best Michigan Gambling Sites
When did online gambling become legal in Michigan?
After 1996, the Michigan Gaming Control and Revenue Act banned gambling. It took years of negotiation to finally have the ban on gambling overturned by the Michigan gaming commission. It has a lot to do with other US states legalizing real money gambling sites in recent months. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer changed of state of Michigan gambling laws in December 2019. Michigan State is currently the 15th official state that participates in licensed and regulated online sports betting with the difference that they still lack legal platforms.
Online Sports Betting in Michigan
While Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) allows for online wagering a lack of operator licenses prevents other platforms from offering the long-awaited sports betting online. The initial sports betting will be via Detroit’s 3 land-based casinos. With the commercial land-based casinos offering online gambling in Michigan, a myriad of tribal sportsbooks are set to launch. Even though the bill was just passed recently, players in Michigan have no shortage of legal online gambling sites. These include:
- Firekeepers Hotel & Casino – Battle Creek – owned and operated by Nottowaseppi Huron Band with platform operating on SD Digital software. The new sportsbook from the tribe was planned long ahead of legalization therefore expected to be one of the quickest to launch online. It will be called Dacey’s Sportsbook with punters invited to be ready in the spring of 2020 for the official sportsbook launch.
- Little Traverse Bay Bands & The Stars Group partnered to launch their sportsbook.
- Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish tribe with the Gun Lake Casino Sportsbook
- Turtle Creek has been open since 2008 under the ownership of 2 Indian tribes. Forming a partnership with industry leader William Hill, they launched Onyx Sports Bar with a full profile of sports online.
- Soaring Eagle is located in Mt Pleasant and will soon launch its online sportsbook.
- A fully operational sportsbook is BetMGM that comes from the land-based casino in Detroit MGM Detroit Casino.
- Greektown casino launched their own sportsbook in March 2020 called The Sportsbook in partnership with Penn National Gaming.
What Can I bet on in Michigan?
With the recently signed bill to allow sports betting online, there is still a lack of Michigan online casinos as operator licenses must be acquired. A wide range of sports teams betting include college basketball and football teams like Michigan State Spartans, University of Michigan Wolverines, NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL plus many more. Premier League Soccer, WTA Tennis, ATP Tennis, PGA Golf, parlay wagering and more are also going to be top offers at sportsbooks.
- Horse racing bets – now accepted through third-party online retailers and sportsbooks.
- DFS contests – FanDuel is the biggest provider with regular DFS contests in Michigan. Between this site and DraftKings, close to 90% of the market is captured. Over 37, 000 active players live in Michigan with an even bigger rise expected with the new law.
- Lottery games – Michigan has an online lottery, which is a state-run operation. It is legal to play online with players having an app that can be downloaded via Michigan Lottery/ a simple download followed by registration, making the first deposit using a bank transfer or debit/credit card. Tickets for lottery games include lotto 47, fantasy 5, Powerball and Mega Millions. It is similar to purchasing a gas station ticket, just more convenient with everything handy on your mobile.
- Sports betting online or at retail venues – close to 30 current casinos are applying for licensing to operate online. Various will continue to offer both online and via retail avenue. With the gambling bill passed only recently, Michigan plyers will wait to see if more newcomers will launch sportsbooks or only retail venues.
What Kind of Online Horse Betting Will Be Available in Michigan?
Only one horseracing track is available in Michigan, with the once-lucrative gambling industry dwindling
to almost nothing. The track is Northville Downs, but with legalized gambling, it is expected to prevent the only track from closing too.
During 2020’s first months, the Michigan Gaming Control Board approved horse racing bets on mobile and online using advance deposit racing. This order forms part of state horse racing laws to allow third-party industries to offer punters wagering opportunities on both simulcast and live pari-mutuel horse racing. It should increase the industry with additional tracks opening with third parties allowed to accept online horse wagering.
Legal Online casinos in Michigan
What kind of casino games will be available in Michigan?
Legalization brings serious and significant change to the way games are presented online. With land-based casinos, the first to develop and launch online versions of their casino’s others are also expected to launch. Michigan players can expect a throng of new and classic casino games. Included are:
- Video keno and live dealer keno
- Scratch cards from several top providers like Playtech and Microgaming, NetEnt
- Video pokers
- Slots machine ranging from classics, themed, Marvel & DC Comics, TV & Movie Themed, 5-reels, 3 reels and a myriad of varying pay lines.
- Cards games like online poker machine with any possible poker hand as well as live dealer Texas Hold’Em Poker, Crazy 4 Poker, Mississippi Stud, Heads Up and online poker rooms for tournaments.
- Craps of varying bet limits
- Blackjack variations like American, Asian, 21, single deck, 6 Deck
- Roulette versions and varying bet limits
Social casino site options
While the Four Winds Hartford on Lake Michigan’s shores is a large land-based casino with plenty of tables and slot online casino games, it offers online social casino games. While it offered social gaming under sweepstakes gambling laws long before betting online was legalized, social casino games have always been legal in the state.
Can You play poker online in Michigan?
With the signed bill, poker sites also became legal in Michigan. One of the tribal casinos Sault Tribe of Chippewa has partnered with the huge igaming developer, GAN. THIS Indian tribe owns and operates 5 land-based casinos and GAN wants to use these for legal online poker, which is long-awaited in Michigan.
Another giant in the poker industry that most gamblers are familiar with is PokerStars, which wants to extend to Michigan. The parent group, The Stars Group, partnered with the tribe Little Traverse bay Bands. A huge poker site will operate under the brand of PokerStars in Michigan after it already launched in other United States states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania. While William Hill concentrates its efforts on sports it will offer casino games including poker as part of its offering with its partnering with a native Indian tribe.
Players in Michigan can play lottery online or via a downloadable app that is available for iOS and Android as well as desktop platforms via the Michigan lottery site. The free app requires account registration, a deposit to play, and you are ready to bet. it offers an easy to use players platform with games like Fantasy 5, Powerball, Mega Millions and Lotto 47.
Daily Fantasy Sports In Michigan
Michigan has regulated legal daily fantasy sports. Before the legalization of gambling, it has been legal with casinos like FanDuel and DraftKings, offering fantasy betting.
Does Michigan Have Land-based Casinos?
Aside from over 20 tribal casinos over Michigan, there are Detroit-based casinos like:
MGM Grand Detroit is an established casino that recently launched the popular BetMGM Sports in March 2020. It also features an incredibly diverse casino gaming collection like video poker, progressive jackpots with a total of 3, 500 slots.
Greektown Casino Hotel with its 3000+ video poker and slot machines as well as a massive array of table games that include high card flush, let it ride, three-card poker, craps, roulette and blackjack offer legal sports betting in Michigan as well.
MotorCity Casino Hotel is one of Detroit’s downtown casinos with a huge casino floor containing close to 3, 000 video poker and slot machines. Add to that 50+ table games + poker room offering various tournaments. If you have heard of the popular FanDuel Sportsbook, you should realize that MotorCity is the owner that launched it to offer excellently diverse sports betting online.
How to Deposit and Withdraw from Gambling Sites
Michigan gambling sites accept most popular payment methods, and while it is customary to have far fewer withdrawal methods, Michigan Casino and Sportsbooks surprise with more than adequate payment methods going both ways.
Most payment methods are what players are already familiar with. To make a first deposit, registration is required, then proceed to cashier to choose currency and method of choice. When you want to make a withdrawal from the casino or sportsbook, go to the cashier in your account section to request a withdrawal.
Make sure you read the payment terms and conditions to see the minimum and maximum withdrawals, time frames and if you received a bonus, whether you met the wagering requirements. Expect options like:
- Debit & Credit Cards – a popular choice for Michigan online gambling platform. With these allowing both withdrawals as well as deposits, the only drawback could be the longer processing time attached. The majority of casinos online offer a minimum withdrawal period of 3 days while it can extend to 8 working days at others. No fees are attached to all major cards, and the bank accommodated. The minimum deposit amount would be depending on a platform used, but $10 is average.
- Bank transfer – most US banks allow for this method suitable for depositing and withdrawal of funds. Instant deposits while withdrawal range between 3 – 5 days to clear.
- Paynearme – it grows in popularity for its anonymity and no need to disclose banking or card details. These are found in 7-Elevens, Family Dollar stores and CVS locations. A code is sent to your gambling platform after you registered your account.
- PayPal – this is certainly one of the smoothest and safest payment portals with no fees and a low minimum deposit and withdrawal. Players with pre-existing PayPal withdraw funds via wallet to gambling platforms that use PayPal. It allows for withdrawals too.
- Play + – a prepaid card that works similarly to Paysafecard, except it is better as you can withdraw, whereas Paysafecard allows only depositing of casino funds. You need to sign up for the card that can be used multiple times, add funds via card, bank transfer and transfer funds to a casino account. Withdraw winnings by using it as an ATM card.
- Cryptocurrencies – an increasingly popular payment method, including Bitcoin and several other cryptos. Use a minimum deposit allowed and withdraw too for an instant, safe and secure payment that does not require banking or personal details sharing online. Anonymity is guaranteed while the payment is instant.
Minimum Gambling Age
Players living in Michigan are not allowed to play when they are under 21 years. This age applies to land-based and online casinos. In ensuring players are of legal age and within state lines, age verification processes will be required from gambling operators as well as installed geo-location software. Players that are underaged or not living in Michigan will not be allowed.
Does Michigan have any legal betting tracks/shops?
- Michigan has only one racetrack while it is expected that it might change with changed gambling laws.
Does Michigan allow off-track betting?
- Yes, Michigan gaming allows for the opening of betting shops since gambling laws changed.
Are There Taxes on Winnings?
- Yes, casinos are taxed, and player winnings are also taxed.
Is social gaming allowed in Michigan?
- Yes, social gaming is legal even before changed laws.
Are there Sports betting apps?
- There is currently nothing but expected some towards the middle of 2021 that play for real money.