Michigan Online Sports Betting
Online gambling has become increasingly popular in Michigan in recent years. Michigan sports betting online was signed into law in December 2019, and the state has been quick to catch up on online betting with other states ever since. We are going to take a closer look at sports betting online in Michigan in this review.
Michigan is home to several popular physical casinos and sportsbooks, and online sportsbooks and casinos have also made a name for themselves in the state. In this guide, we will take a look at sports betting in Michigan, as well as popular casinos and sportsbook operators, mobile sports betting apps, the gambling law in the state, and the popular sports that sports bettors in Michigan can bet on.
Best Online Sportsbooks in Michigan
Fox Bet Sportsbook MI
Fanduel Sportsbook MI
Up to $1000 Risk-Free
PointsBet Sportsbook MI
two risk-free bets up to $200
Sports Betting Legislation in Michigan
Michigan is fairly new to the online gambling party compared to some of the other states in the country. The state’s gambling laws were set in the Michigan Gaming Control and Revenue Act of 1996. According to these, only three casinos could operate in Detroit on non-tribal land.
This all changed in late 2019. Governor Gretchen Whitmer passed the legislation that allowed Michigan sports betting online and mobile gambling to take place in Michigan. This has seen more and more sites open up around the country and in the state. Recently, mobile apps also made an appearance in the state and are now offering a convenient gambling experience for Michigan players.
Where Will I Be Able to Make Legal Sports Bets in Michigan?
There is plenty of excellent places where can you place sports bets in Michigan. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular.
- Greektown Casino-Hotel: This is one of the three non-tribal casinos that is located in Detroit. Not only does it boast a huge range of slots and table games for customers to play, but it also offers a high-end, luxury accommodation service as well.
- MotorCity Casino Hotel: Named after the Motor City itself, this casino is another high-end location where the gamblers of Detroit can try their luck.
- MGM Grand Detroit: MGM is synonymous with gambling in the United States, and their Detroit-based casino is enough to rival any of their other locations around the country.
Michigan Sports Betting Locations
There are a lot of great locations in Michigan where sports fans and gamblers can try their luck and find the best point spread or odds. These are some of the most popular destinations that you can find in the state.
- Northern Water casino in Watersmeet: This top-quality casino has a range of excellent games and tables to offer to its customers. It is open 24/7, meaning you can get lucky any time of the day.
- Odawa Casino Resort in Petoskey: Another top-end casino that is available to Michigan residents. This casino offers over 1,000 slots as well as an array of table games.
- Firekeepers Casino in Battle Creek: This is one of the most modern and stylish casinos available in Michigan, with a range of luxurious features to offer to its customers.
- Gun Lake Casino in Wayland: Residents of Wayland have lucked out with Gun Lake Casino. This is one of the best casinos in the entire state, offering players a wide variety of different games and entertainment.
- Bay Mills Casino in Brimley: Bay Mills is another high-end establishment in a state that is fit to burst with them. This casino offers a sophisticated experience combined with a huge selection of slots and dealer games.
Michigan Sports Betting Apps – How to Play?
There are plenty of Michigan sports betting websites that are currently set up in the state and available for sports betting. Moreover, residents can find both Android sports betting apps and an iOS Sports betting app to make a wager, and starting is usually a quick and intuitive process.
To sign up for one of the best online Michigan sportsbooks or a mobile casino, you will typically need to click the “Create Account” button that you will find on the casino’s page. Once you have done that, you will be prompted to enter some of your personal details – these usually include, but are not limited to – your name, address, mobile number, e-mail address, and date of birth.
To become a member of brick-and-mortar casino or sportsbook, you will have to sign-up in person. You can do this by visiting the location and taking a government-approved form of identification. This could be a passport or a driver’s license.
New Players Bonuses
Many sportsbooks offer bonuses for their new customers. These will often include things like free spins, cashback, or matched bets. You may need a promo code in order to claim these welcome bonuses. These can be a great way for a customer to start their account with a new casino and can give you a potentially winning start at a sportsbook as well.
Types of Legal Sports Betting in Michigan
There are loads of different types of sports bets and markets that casinos in Michigan may offer to their customers. The following are the most common types of bets you are likely to encounter when you delve into Michigan online sports betting.
- Point Spread – This is one of the most popular ways to bet in Michigan. In a point spread, the bookmaker will provide one of the teams in a match with a handicap in order to even the odds. So one of the teams may need to overturn a -10 handicap in order for them to win the match. This is popular as it can turn an otherwise predictable encounter on its head.
- Money Line – The easiest type of bet to understand. This is when you bet on a single event to win. For example, you could bet that Team A will beat Tema B.
- Totals – Totals are also known as over/under bets. This is when you bet on a certain statistic in the game and whether or not it will be over/under a given amount. For example, you could bet on whether or not a team will have over or under 50 points in a game.
- Partial Game Lines – Partial games lines are when you bet on the outcome of a specific period or part of a game, instead of the full-time outcome. For example, in a game of soccer, you could place a bet on which team will win the first half.
- Parlay – Parlays have become incredibly popular in recent years. Also known as accumulators, this is when you bet on a string of different results, and the odds of those outcomes accumulate. This can often lead to some very big payouts.
- Teasers – Teasers are basically a combination of parlays and totals or points spread. In a teaser, a point spread is in your favor, giving you more chances of winning.
- Pleasers – A pleaser is the partner bet to a teaser, except that the points spread in the bet are not in your favor.
- Round Robin – A round-robin is very similar to a parlay bet, except that in a round-robin, you feature a variety of different outcomes. These often have high stakes but also very high payouts. Many gamblers view these bets as a type of insurance bet.
- Futures – Futures bets are often also referred to as outrights. In these bets, you bet on the outright winners of tournaments or leagues.
- In-Play – In-play betting is becoming increasingly popular. As their name suggests, this is when you place a bet while the game or competition is still in play.
- Propositional Wagers – These bets are also known as prop bets. They are when you bet on a particular event happening. They are also listed as novelty or special bets with some bookmakers.
Betting on Popular Sports
When it comes to Michigan Sports betting online, there is plenty of variety on offer. As well as traditional US sports leagues like NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB, you will also find a range of markets on much more niche sports and divisions such as UFC, boxing, tennis, golf, Nascar, Formula 1, and several other sports.
One piece of advice you should always follow is to never go into a bet blind. Make sure you have done an adequate amount of research on the sport you are betting on and that you are making an educated risk. It is important to remember to always gamble responsibly.
With Michigan Sports betting online becoming more and more popular, many casinos and sportsbooks will now start competing with one another to offer their customers the best odds.
Betting on Super Bowl
Super Bowl weekend is the biggest weekend of sports in the US. The event attracts millions of viewers from around the world and, needless to say, also sees millions of dollars wagered in casinos.
This is an excellent time to get betting. Not only is it a lot of fun, but also, many of the casinos will be in competition with one another in order to attract the most customers and offer the best odds and special bonus offers.
The event is the final game of the NFL season, and it usually takes place at the beginning of February.
Betting on March Madness
As its name might suggest, March Madness is a huge tournament that takes place throughout the month of March. Sixty-eight teams from the NCAA partake in a 63 game single elimination tournament throughout the month.
This time period is huge for both casinos and for gamblers alike. Most sites will have a range of special offers during this period, and if you play your cards right, you could win some serious cash during this time.
Betting on NFL Sunday
NFL Sundays are hugely popular in America. This is when the week’s big NFL games take place, and it is a hugely popular time to have a cheeky flutter. Most bookmakers will run weekly promotions throughout the season, and many fans will regularly place bets on NFL Sunday. Some of the casinos may even be able to offer live streams or commentary of the most popular fixtures.
Few sports are as synonymous with gambling as horse racing. There is a range of different horse betting options available for bettors who live in Michigan. Most casinos will offer daily odds on horse racing events that are taking place in various different countries.
Deposits and Withdrawals
Michigan Casinos like to cater to the needs of their players, and as such, there is normally a good selection of different banking methods that are made available. The following are the most popular:
- Credit and Debit cards: Credit and debit cards are by far the most popular way to deposit and withdraw funds to and from your online casino account. Almost all casinos will accept both Visa and Mastercard as methods of payment.
- E-Wallets: E-wallets have become increasingly popular in recent years. This is because they are not only very safe and reliable, but they are also extremely fast. Deposits made with e-wallets happen instantly, while most withdrawals take less than 24 hours.
- Pre-Paid Cards: Pre-paid cards are cards that you must load your funds onto directly. These are great for people who want to limit the amount of money they are spending at a casino. They are also excellent for those who don’t want to share their bank details online.
- Pay by Phone: This is a great option for people on phone plans. Your deposits can be added to your phone bill or can be subtracted from whatever funds you have on your mobile phone at the time.
- PayPal: PayPal is the most popular e-wallet on the internet. The service is safe and secure and is accepted by almost all online casinos these days.
- PayNearMe: PayNearMe is an excellent alternative method that has risen in popularity. This service allows customers to go to a physical location and pay their funds into their accounts that way.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Betting
In recent years, more and more players have shifted over to online betting and it is apparent that betting on sports online has some perks that real-life gambling can not offer.
Firstly, betting online is incredibly convenient. Thanks to mobile apps, you can gamble virtually everywhere these days. Michigan betting apps are also a great way for gamblers to bet on rarer sports. The industry is ever-changing, and this is becoming more and more common.
Casinos are always trying to attract new players online as well, which means that you often get access to a range of special offers and bonuses that wouldn’t be available to players using a real-life casino.
In terms of downsides, there are very few. One of the biggest issues a lot of online gamblers face is that they just don’t get the same experience at an online casino that they would at a real-life one.
- Is online betting legal in Michigan?
- Betting online has been legal in Michigan since the end of 2019.
- What are the best online betting sites?
- The question about which is the best Michigan sportsbooks is always going to be a tricky one to answer. Ultimately, it will come down to which casino or sportsbook suits your needs the most.
- Do you have to live in Michigan to bet online?
- If you want to use a casino commissioned in Michigan, then yes, you will have to be a resident.
- Do you have to be 21 to bet on sports?
- Yes. The law in America states that you must be 21 years old to gamble.
- How do I place a bet online?
- Placing a bet online is an easy process. You will first need to create an account with your chosen casino. Once you have done that, you will have to deposit cash, find your preferred sport and market and place your bet from there.